Friday, October 10, 2008

Duff

The 2nd at Eynesbury

I'm never playing golf again. At this rate, I don't think golf will want to play with me again either. Played today with Mike, a good golfer (I owe you $5 for the drink mate), in perfect conditions on an excellent golf course (Eynesbury - high quality for a new course). Have you ever played so bad, you stop scoring, and even root for your playing partner to keep his streak up. Geez. ...

I've gone from a miracle afternoon at Barnbougle (88!), reduced to bunting the ball around Eynesbury (400 and something surely) - the more you play the game, the less it can advance. It is possible and defies the laws of normal sport. That's why its so unique and can be addictive when you get ahead.

I thought it would be more worthwhile to reminisce about the variety of courses I've played over the last few years:
  • 13th Beach (both courses) - beer haze clouds memories ... but good. Well known that Beach course is superior to Creek course.
  • Anglesea - kangaroos are the novelty overlaid on this good layout on the coast
  • Barnbougle Dunes - no. 1- outstanding, even better when it plays benign
  • Cape Schank - well manicured but I had (another) dog day
  • Commonwealth - Great course, but I was crap .. again
  • Eagle Ridge - too country club for the peninsula
  • Eynesbury - excellent, will be back to this G Marsh layout. Best locker rooms in Australia by the way - hotel like.
  • Greenacres - nice inner city, a bit too Melbourne Club for mine
  • Growling Frog - a trek, and needs time and water to embed, but a good layout in nice farmland
  • Huntingdale - Really nice, undervalued, and a good afternoon
  • Moonah Links Open Course - Really good, and teeth not as sharp as I thought it would be
  • National Old Course - Prob the 2nd best golf afternoon ever
  • Portsea - the old favourite, love the quietness, the familiarity
  • Riversdale - Unusual layout on hilly aspect, nice people and clubhouse feel
  • Tewantin - Never seen a greener course during 'drought' - that's Sunshine Coast - well worth a visit
  • Waterford Valley - coming together, but needs water and atmosphere
  • Werribee - don't want to talk about it ...
  • Yarra Bend - Hidden gem in the inner city
To each of those courses, and the people I played with, apologies for wasting your time, I hope the 19th green made up for it each time. That's a fair list though, some really excellent courses are within reach of Inner Melbourne (except for Tewantin and Barnbougle of course) . And there are many more ... just need to find the time and the $50.

Top courses on my wishlist - don't we all ...
  • Kingston Heath
  • Peninsula CC
  • Royal Melb, of course
  • Sorrento
  • National Moonah
  • Brookwater in QLD
  • The Cut in WA
Late night update - I wish I could be playing golf tomorrow ... the bug is back, despite the poor round. Sorry Mike, you'll have to put up with me again soon. And I owe you the Ashes by the way. Time for some lessons ... although again approaching birth of first child may make it an unwise investment. Time to just enjoy...

Lesson 10 - Sometimes lessons, thinking about it, practicing mean nothing - when you cross the white line onto the first tee, that's when it counts ... and that's when your game leaves you, the bastard

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you caught me on a very good day, good chance that it wont last! Even being 7 up, was waiting for the traditional comeback and was shocked that it didnt happen! Eynesbury was a top layout though, be back there again this summer!